Wenshuyuan (Wenshu Monastery) stands in the northern part of Chengdu City. It is the home of the Buddhist Association of Sichuan Province and Chengdu.
Initially built in the Tang Dynasty (618 - 907), Wenshuyuan was once called Xinxiang Monastery. In 1681, during the reign of Emperor Kangxi of the Qing Dynasty (1644 - 1911), Cidu, an accomplished Buddhist monk, came to the monastery. He built a simple hut between two trees and for several years lived an ascetic life there. It covers an area of 11,600 square meters. The present halls date from 1691.
The most important buildings are Tianwang Hall, Sandashi Hall, Daxiong Baodian Hall, Shuofa Hall, and Cangjing Tower. There are more than 100 bronze Buddhist figures in the monastery are especially worth seeing; most of them were cast during the Qing Dynasty. Shuofa Hall contains 10 iron figures from the Song Dynasty. Besides, Wenshuyuan also collected many valuable relics and Buddhist sutras, copies of the literature.
[Via yeschinatour website]